Roof leaks can be quite problematic. Even the smallest leak can be aggravated over time if left undetected. It’s these small leaks that you really need to be careful about. They are not the easiest to detect. However, they can be resolved fairly quickly as well. It is only a matter of how good you are at detecting the leaks. You could do your own roof repair or have it done by a professional roofer. In this article, we’ll be focusing on the things that you can do to fix a leak on your own.
Here are 5 ways you can fix a roof leak
Before you proceed with getting a ladder and going up the roof to fix that leak, let’s first take a look at some important questions.
How do you find a roof leak?
There are different ways on how you can accomplish this. However, it is always advised to have a professional do the inspection and South Myrtle Beach roof repair. There are always dangers associated with working on heights. If you plan on making DIY roof repairs, be aware of the dangers that come with it. Here are some ways on how you can detect a leak:
- Perform a thorough check of the roof’s exterior and inspect the attic for any signs of water entry.
- Check for loose nails, broken or missing shingles, and any opening that could lead to leaks.
- Check the ceiling for any signs of water damage.
Ways on how you can fix roof leaks:
- Using the tarp method – if a storm just passed by your location and left some minor damages to your roof, you can use a tarp to fix any leaks. Be sure to use a piece of tarp that is big enough to cover the section that is causing the leak. However, this method is more of first aid on your roof and should not be made a permanent fix.
- Repairing the shingles – there can be different issues you can face with roof shingles. Either way, when you find badly damaged shingles, you should have them replaced with away. Perform a thorough roof inspection first before you start fixing the shingles. This will give you a perfect idea of what to fix and where.
- Check the plumbing vents – all plumbing vents come sealed to avoid water from dripping down the vents. However, any loose materials could cause leaks. If your roof suffers from leakage through the plumbing vents, have a contractor like South Myrtle Beach Roofing fix the issue.
- Repair the flashing – the flashing can either be a piece of metal of plastic that covers the joints of the roof, making it waterproof. However, the adhesive could crack and come off over time. You can reapply a layer of adhesive and reset the flashing, keeping it in place and making the roof waterproof again.
- Fix small holes – small holes can be damaging to your roof. It can cause rot and leaks. There are different ways on how to deal with these kinds of problems. However, if you are not confident you can fully fix the problem, hire a roofing contractor.
Are you worried about leaks on your roof? Don’t let the problem grow bigger! Call South Myrtle Beach Roofing today and solve all of your roofing woes. You may reach us at (843) 241-9649.
South Myrtle Beach Roofing
Pawleys Island, SC 29586